Tuesday 11 September 2012

Chips.

So....my twice a week blogging is going great isn't it? 

I honestly intended to have written at least 2 more posts by now, but with moving city things have been really busy and in my down-time all I’ve wanted to do is chill out and watch TV.

Also, as I don’t yet have a job here I’ve been spending most of my time job hunting and writing applications, leaving my boyfriend to do most of the cooking! The things I have cooked I haven’t really taken photos of, apart from….chips!

Chips?! A food blog, and so far all there is is a simple cupcake recipe and CHIPS? 

Yes. But they’re really good chips. Turnip and sweet potato chips to be exact, so they’re kinda healthy, right? 

Ingredients:

1x turnip
½ a large sweet potato
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp sunflower oil
Small knob (ha ha..) of butter
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Rosemary (to taste)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.2. Peel and chop the turnip and sweet potato into chip like strips (you know what I mean). The thinner they are the faster they’ll cook, but might be more likely to crumble apart if you get the boiling time wrong. Boil in a pan on the stove for approx. 10-15 mins. 

3. Put half the oil and all the butter into a baking tray and put in the oven for a minute to warm up. 
4. Drain the veg and spread it out in the baking tray. Cover with the rest of the oil and all the herbs and seasoning. 


5. Cook in the oven for 45mins give or take (depends on your oven, best to shake them anyway every 15-20 minutes so check on them then until they reach your desired chip-consistency!). Enjoy!




Notes:

  • Experiment with different root veg, this is just what we had in the house. Tastes great using white turnip, parsnip, and of course normal potatoes!
  • Also try out different seasonings, I recommend sage. For a really salty kick you could also add some Marigold Bouillon powder ;) (one of my favourite ingredients, you’ll probably see this cropping up a lot in the future!)
  • If it weren’t so expensive I’d use only olive oil (tastes better IMO), but with the amount it takes to cook the chips in I substitute half with sunflower.

P.S. I actually wrote this post a few days ago but got side-tracked again by more applications gahhhh. Since then I have actually cooked more! Expect another recipe soon. Then another hiatus as friends come up to visit for the rest of the week :D

No comments:

Post a Comment