Monday 27 August 2012

The Best Cupcake Recipe in the Entire World. Honest.

So remember how I said this wasn’t going to be a cupcake blog? Well yeah, here’s my first official recipe post, about cupcakes. 

The title may seem a bit big-headed but I’ve honestly had people tell me that these are the best cupcakes they’ve ever had, so I thought it’d be a good idea to start off with a recipe that I know works and has been actually approved by others! They're light, spongey, sweet but not too sweet, creamy and best of all, taste really fresh. Also there's a strawberry on each one, part of your 5 a day, right?

I’ve adapted it from Sue McMahon’s book, ‘Cupcakes’, which I would highly recommend. I’ve bought a lot of baking books over the past few years and they’ve barely been touched, I always go back to Sue’s book. It’s simple to follow and has probably every cupcake recipe you’ll need. Also it’s really small (like A5 size) which makes a nice change from having to clear space on my tiny work top for huge recipe books! I hate huge recipe books that take over all your workspace, especially as I’ve spent the last 3 years in tiny student kitchens. 

So anyway, here is my fool proof recipe for Victoria sponge style cupcakes, using the basic plain sponge recipe from ‘Cupcakes’ as a base. 

Ingredients

For the base:

125g butter or margarine, softened (I use Flora as it’s soft already)
125g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour 
2 medium eggs
2tbsp milk
Few drops of vanilla extract (optional, I find it’s sweet enough as it is)

For the topping:

150ml whipping cream (this is an estimate, I always whip up the whole tub then have the left overs with strawberries or pancakes etc)
12 tbsp strawberry jam
12 strawberries
Small amount of icing sugar, for dusting

Method:
1.       Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5
2.       Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until well binded. Then mix in all the other base ingredients (eggs, flour, milk) and beat until smooth.
3.       Divide the mixture between 12 standard cupcake cases (I recommend re-useable silicone rather than disposable paper ones, not as wasteful and look much nicer in presentation!). Bake in the oven for 12-15mins. To test if they’re done stick a sharp knife into the centre, if it comes out clean, they’re ready. Remove from oven and put them on a wire rack to cool.
4.       Once the cakes are completely cool, start making the topping by spreading approximately a 1tbsp thick layer of jam on the centre of each cupcake. Whip up the whipping cream using an electric whisk (or by hand if you’re ripped, I’m not) and put a nice fat dollop on top of the jam. Finish by placing a strawberry on top of the cream. Don’t take the green stem off! It looks much nicer if it’s on. Add a dusting of icing sugar over this for extra sweetness (and prettiness) if you want.



And that’s it! So simple but sooooo good. Go ahead and experiment with presentation too, if you don’t have any strawberries or it’s not the right season* you could make butterfly cakes by carefully chopping a circle of the top of the cupcake off before putting the jam on, then cutting it in two halves and placing them on top of the cream like butterfly wings:



Enjoy!

Note: the secret to this recipe is definitely the fresh cream, don’t even think of substituting it for buttercream or squirty cream!






*I wouldn’t even bother buying strawberries if they’re not in season, let’s face it, they taste disgusting, they’re expensive, and it’s not worth the air miles it takes to transport them from god knows where…apologies to those reading this in the UK where strawberry season is nearly over. Oops.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment