Sunday 20 January 2013

Vegan Pancakes

This morning I had a huge craving for pancakes but we didn’t have any eggs, so I started Googling vegan pancake recipes. The same recipe kept coming up so I tried it and it was AMAZING. I’ll never put eggs in pancakes again, they tasted exactly the same as ‘normal’ ones, actually I’d even say better!

The only thing is the recipe was measured in cups, I have a cup measurer but it was dirty so Alex realised we could use a measuring jug instead (yeah, we’re that lazy)! 1 cup = 250ml. Also this recipe is for ‘American’ style stacked pancakes rather than thin crepes. 


Ingredients:

1 cup plain flour
1 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup milk (soy/rice/dairy/etc - I used oat)
2 tbsp sunflower oil (plus extra for greasing the frying pan)

Method:

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl. When well combined mix in the milk and oil and beat until the batter is smooth. At this point you can add in any extra ingredients such as fruit and nuts – we used a small handful of sultanas and walnuts.


2. Heat up a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. The recipes I found online said to use ¼ of a cup of batter per pancake but we used a ladle and they got pretty big, so it depends what size you want. Either way cook them for approx. 2 minutes on each side, gently moving around so they don’t stick. When bubbles start to appear on the surface it’s a good indication to flip it over. 


3. Serve topped with butter, golden syrup, peanut butter, chocolate spread, honey…anything you can think of!




WARNING: These are ridiculously filling, I ate two and felt overfull…but I guess I did cover one with peanut butter. Ughhhhh food coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment