Wednesday 26 December 2012

‘Left over’ Veg and Lentil curry

In my final year at university nearly all I ate was curry (wow I must have stunk...). I cooked a big batch every week or two then divided it up into tupperwear to freeze so I’d always have a healthy ‘ready meal’ on hand. It’s a great way to use up left over vegetables, add whatever you like – aubergine, turnip, sweet potato, mushroom...play around with the lentils too. I normally go for puy if I can find them for a reasonable price but any others will do. 

The following recipe is a guideline for a basic curry. The following quantities are based on what I had in my kitchen at the time, add as much spice as you want!

Serves 2-4 (when served with side of rice etc)

Ingredients:

1 small celeriac
1 potato
1 carrot
1 courgette
1 ½ small onions
4 tomatoes
200g puy lentils (rinsed but not soaked)
1 ½ litre veg stock
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp garam masala
3 tsp medium curry powder
Handful of fresh coriander
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Heat up the oil in a large pan. After a minute or two add the onion and gently cook till translucent. Add the garlic and all the spices apart from the fresh coriander, salt and pepper and mix together for another minute.
  2. Add the ‘soft’ vegetables (tomato and courgette in this case), stir so they’re coated in oil and spices and cook gently for another minute.
  3. Now add the ‘hard’ vegetables (carrot, potato and celeriac) and lentils, stirring again to coat and cook for a further minute or so before adding the stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils have softened (note: puy lentils don’t lose their shape so test if they’ve softened by eating a few). About 5 minutes before finishing add the fresh coriander, salt and pepper.
  4. Serve with rice/cous cous/quinoa/bulgur wheat/[insert other awesome grain here] and mango chutney!

Note: When I say 'left overs' here I mean uncooked vegetables lurking at the back of the fridge. You could use cooked veg too, just reduce cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment