Monday 3 December 2012

A Salad Without a Name

So I haven't posted in AGES. I could bore you with the details of how I now have a job and was too lazy/tired to document recipes for a while, but instead I'll just get on with it. Here's a salad recipe!

Serves 2-4 (2 as a main meal, 4 as a side dish) 


Ingredients:

2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped into halves/quarters
kale (as much as you want! I went with about half a bag first time round but think I'll do more next time 'cos I'm obsessed)
handful of black olives
400g drained can of butter beans or similar bean (could alternatively use 125g of dried beans and soak them beforehand)
100g puy lentils
 salt and pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Rinse, drain, and boil the lentils for 20 minutes or until soft enough to eat (unlike most lentils, puy lentils retain their shape when cooked so eat a few to check they're soft).
  2. Gently boil the kale for 5 minutes, co-ordinating it with the lentils so they're done at the same time.
  3. Heat approx 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the garlic, drained lentils and kale. Mix together so everything is coated in oil. Lightly fry for 5 minutes then leave to cool.
  4. Once the lentil/kale mixture has cooled, transfer to a big bowl and add all the other ingredients, mixing thoroughly so they are coated in the dressing. Chill then serve!
This is a wonderfully refreshing and filling salad, I recommend making a big batch in advance and using it for quick, nutritious lunches! 


3 comments:

  1. Looks good to me- double whammy with lentils and butter beans :)I do prefer my kale raw though. Give it a good rub in olive oil + lemon and it softens right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I've tried massaging it with just oil and it didn't soften up enough, will definately try with lemon juice though :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a weird comment thread...

    ReplyDelete