Sunday 3 March 2013

Sick-day Soup

Last week I had a horrific stomach bug so had to take the day off work. Luckily by the afternoon I was feeling better and ready to eat. Unluckily we had virtually no food in the house and I didn't want to venture outside. I desperately searched the cupboards, trying to find something other than plain pasta and managed to put together a surprisingly tasty soup with the following ingredients, I call it my ‘Sick-day Soup’:  

 
Ingredients:

Whatever vegetables, pulses and herbs you can find + vegetable stock. 

I used:
3 old celery stalks, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped (mouldy bit chopped off…yeah that’s how grim the situation was)
750ml vegetable stock
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of rosemary and black pepper
1 cup of soup mix soaked in cold water for several hours and rinsed (lentils, pearl barley etc – available in most supermarkets and health food stores, see picture below)


 Method:

1. Gently fry the onion for a few minutes, add the celery and fry for a further 5 minutes or so.

2. Stir in the soup mix, stock and herbs. Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes or until the soup mix is soft. 


 3. Serve in Tupperware as you’re too sick and lazy to do the washing up.  

 I promise it tasted better than it looked...


 Also, isn't this onion just beautiful?? Just me? Like I said it was a bit mouldy in places and soft on the outer layers but when I cut into the middle it was fine so check your food before you throw it out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment